Thursday, May 29, 2008

June Book


Howdy girls! We will be reading The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver for the month of June. We will be meeting June 26 at 7:30 pm (if that time works for everyone) at my place. I will send out an email with the date, time, and address later. This is my second favorite novel by Kingsolver (The Poisonwood Bible is my first favorite.)

Here's a synopsis: "Meet Taylor Greer. Clear-eyed and spirited, she grew up poor in rural Kentucky with two goals: to avoid pregnancy and to get away. She succeeds on both counts when she buys a '55 Volkswagen and heads west. But by the time she pulls up on the outskirts of Tucson, Arizona, at an auto repair shop called Jesus Is Lord Used Tires, she has reluctantly acquired a three-year-old companion named Turtle. What follows -- as Taylor meets the human condition head-on -- is at the heart of this memorable novel about love and friendship, abandonment and belonging, and the discovery of surprising resources in apparently empty places." (taken from www.kingsolver.com/bookshelf/bean_trees.asp)

Also, does anyone have requests for treats/snacks? I am willing to make more than one thing. :) In my opinion, you can't have too many kinds of treats! (And Zach would be happy b/c he gets the leftovers.)
PS: Sorry the image is so small.

2 comments:

Steve&Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE this book! I don't think I've read it since I was about 15, but I'm excited to read it again!

Los Smith said...

Thanks Alicia for a fun book club night and delicious rootbeer floats!